Q: What is the difference between evangelism, apologetics, and catechesis?
A: Not method but CONTEXT! The context sets the intended end.
The same discourse can be evangelistic, apologetic, or catechetical depending on the context.
- When addressed to someone who has no relationship with Jesus, it is evangelistic.
- When addressed to someone outside of the Church but with a relationship with Jesus, it is apologetic.
- When addressed to someone inside the Church, it is catechetical.
So the end of the discourse is:
- Faith in Jesus
- Full communion with the Church
- Full intimacy and communion with Jesus in the Church
The methods may be slightly different. Yet the context establishes the intended end of the discourse and, hence, the terminology used.